Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -FinanceMind
Rekubit-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:19:15
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Rekubitagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (11867)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Beyoncé's Los Angeles Renaissance Tour stops bring out Gabrielle Union, Kelly Rowland, more celebs
- Jury selection begins in contempt case against ex-Trump White House official Peter Navarro
- Rhode Island voters to decide Democratic and Republican primary races for congressional seat
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- NPR CEO John Lansing will leave in December, capping a tumultuous year
- Dollar General to donate $2.5 million and remodel store in wake of Jacksonville shooting
- Amid dispute with Spectrum, Disney urges cable viewers to switch to its Hulu+ service
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- NFL head coach hot seat rankings: Ron Rivera, Mike McCarthy on notice entering 2023
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Jimmy Buffett died from Merkel cell skin cancer. What to know about the rare skin condition.
- California lawmakers vote to become first state to ban caste-based discrimination
- Retired Mississippi trooper killed after car rolls on top of him at the scene of a crash
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- While North Carolina gambling opponents rally, Republicans weigh whether to embrace more casinos
- A half-century after Gen. Augusto Pinochet’s coup, some in Chile remember the dictatorship fondly
- California woman accused in $2 million murder-for-hire plot to kill husband
Recommendation
US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
Disney seeks to amend lawsuit against DeSantis to focus on free speech claim
Why Whoopi Goldberg Missed The View's Season 27 Premiere
Alabama football reciprocates, will put Texas fans, band in upper deck at Bryant-Denny
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Fan ejected at US Open after Alexander Zverev says man used language from Hitler’s regime
New York Fashion Week is coming back! Sergio Hudson, Ralph Lauren, more designers to return
Fire destroys bowling alley in North Dakota town