Current:Home > ContactNovaQuant-Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co -FinanceMind
NovaQuant-Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 08:52:28
Paula Abdul and NovaQuantNigel Lythgoe have settled their lawsuit a year after the allegations sent shockwaves through the dance industry.
On Thursday, the "Straight Up" singer filed a notice of settlement for the lawsuit against her fellow former “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Lythgoe, which included allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The terms of the settlement are unknown.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Abdul filed a lawsuit against the former “American Idol” executive producer, alleging that he sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of "Idol" — on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 — and again in 2014 when she was judging "SYTYCD."
“I am grateful that this chapter has successfully come to a close and is now something I can now put behind me,” Abdul said in a statement provided to CNN and CBS News.
Abdul continued: "This has been a long and hard-fought personal battle. I hope my experience can serve to inspire other women, facing similar struggles, to overcome their own challenges with dignity and respect, so that they too can turn the page and begin a new chapter of their lives.”
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Abdul and Lythgoe for comment.
Nigel Lythgoe is leaving Fox's'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault lawsuits
Other allegations against Lythgoe
Days after Abdul filed her lawsuit, two contestants who appeared on the 2003 ABC talent competition show "All American Girl" accused Lythgoe of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and negligence stemming from an alleged attack in May of that year. They filed anonymously, using the names Jane Doe K.G. and Jane Doe K.N.
Lythgoe worked on 'American Idol', 'SYTYCD'
Lythgoe produced “Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and "SYTYCD" from 2005-14.
He was a "SYTYCD" judge from its inception in 2005, but stepped back from the "SYTYCD" judging panel in January, telling USA TODAY in a statement at the time that he "informed the producers of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ of my decision to step back from participating in this year’s series."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Ex-Huskers TE Gilbert, a top national recruit in 2019, pleads no contest to misdemeanors in break-in
- Riverdale's Lili Reinhart Shares Alopecia Diagnosis
- President Biden has said he’d shut the US-Mexico border if given the ability. What does that mean?
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Oregon lawmaker suggests non-Christians are unfit for elected office
- Ayesha Rascoe on 'HBCU Made' — and some good old college memories
- Pakistan’s former Prime Minister Imran Khan sentenced to 14 years in prison for corruption
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- 4 dead, including Florida man suspected of shooting and wounding 2 police officers
Ranking
- Sam Taylor
- Lionel Richie Knows What Pregnant Sofia Richie Won't Be Naming Her Baby Girl
- Small business payroll growth is moderating, but that could mean more sustainable growth ahead
- Daisy Ridley recalls 'grieving' after 'Rise of Skywalker': 'A lot that I hadn't processed'
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Walmart says managers can now earn up to $400,000 a year — no college degree needed
- Zimbabwe opposition figure gets suspended sentence after nearly 2 years in pretrial detention
- 3 NHL players have been charged with sexual assault in a 2018 case in Canada, their lawyers say
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
3 NHL players have been charged with sexual assault in a 2018 case in Canada, their lawyers say
Jake Paul will take on Ryan Bourland, an experienced boxer with little name recognition
Samsung reports decline in profit but anticipates business improvement driven by chips
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
NASCAR Cup Series 2024 schedule from The Clash and Daytona 500 to championship race
Mississippi court overturns conviction of ex-officer in death of man pulled from vehicle
Kansas City Chiefs DE Charles Omenihu tears ACL and will miss Super Bowl 58, per reports